Some advice for singles from an eHarmony’s senior director (Grant Langston). These are the five most overused, meaningless phrases you should take off your online dating profile right now:
– Down to earth: What does that even mean? No one knows. Plus, “even the most superficial, narcissistic person in the world thinks they’re down to earth, so that one is particularly ridiculous.”
– I love to laugh: This is just silly. Everyone loves to laugh. “You think it shows that you might have a good sense of humor, but it’s just universal pulp.”
– I can’t believe I’m doing this: It may make you feel better to put this little disclaimer on your profile, but “it kind of degrades the process.”
– I just want a nice guy: Women don’t really want a nice guy. They want him to be a nice person, but men who are just nice aren’t very interesting to most women—not for very long anyway. He needs to have something about him that’s compelling.
– I love life: That doesn’t help in anyway. What do you love about life? Give me a look inside your head because that’s what’s going to make you stand out. It’ll also give me questions to ask you when we finally do get together.