Phrases Not To Use With Online Dating
Some advice for singles from an eHarmony’s senior director (Grant Langston). These are the five most overused, meaningless phrases you should take off your online dating profile right now:
– Down to earth: What does that even mean? No one knows. Plus, “even the most superficial, narcissistic person in the world thinks they’re down to earth, so that one is particularly ridiculous.”
– I love to laugh: This is just silly. Everyone loves to laugh. “You think it shows that you might have a good sense of humor, but it’s just universal pulp.”
– I can’t believe I’m doing this: It may make you feel better to put this little disclaimer on your profile, but “it kind of degrades the process.”
– I just want a nice guy: Women don’t really want a nice guy. They want him to be a nice person, but men who are just nice aren’t very interesting to most women—not for very long anyway. He needs to have something about him that’s compelling.
– I love life: That doesn’t help in anyway. What do you love about life? Give me a look inside your head because that’s what’s going to make you stand out. It’ll also give me questions to ask you when we finally do get together.