What’s Trending: Tuesday, February 28th, 2017
* Today is Mardi Gras! Do you know the history of Fat Tuesday?
* It’s believe to have its roots in ancient pagan celebrations of spring and fertility, however some dispute those origins and insist it started as a Christian celebration.
* Regardless, it was adopted by Christianity when it arrived in Rome as a prelude to the 40 days of penance and sacrifice during Lent.
* It always occurs the day before Ash Wednesday, which begins the Lent season leading up to Easter.
* With the tradition of fasting and abstaining during Lent, people would bring much of the remaining contents of their fridge, particularly meat, eggs and dairy, along with alcohol, the day before for a big celebration.
* When the festival arrived in France, it became known as Mardi Gras, or “Fat Tuesday.”
* There may actually be a scientific reason behind the “man flu.”
* It’s far from conclusive, but some research has shown that male and female immune cells do react differently to invading viruses.
* A recent study in mice may add more fuel to the fire, suggest that males really do get hit harder by certain illnesses and that physiology, not psychology, may be partially to blame!
* The firm responsible for overseeing the Oscar envelopes is taking full responsibility for the Best Picture blunder on Sunday.
* In a statement they explained that partner Brian Cullinan mistakenly handed the back-up envelope for the Best Actress award to Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway.
* The firm said Cullinan and his partner didn’t act quickly enough to correct the mistake and that they “failed the Academy.”
* With no major shopping holidays in March, you may think it’s a month that is short on sales…wrong! Here are some of the best things for you to buy starting tomorrow:
* Frozen Food (March is National Frozen Food Month and retailers offer some of the best deals of the year.)
* Boxed chocolates (Valentine’s day is over and retailers put ordinary candy on sale to make room for the Easter candy.)
* Exercise equipment (By now, people blow their diets and retailers have seen sales plateau so they are trying to get things moving.)
* Things you should not buy in March:
* New Cars (Spring is the worst time as most of last year’s models are gone and they’re not offering discounts on this year’s models yet.)
* Spring clothing (You won’t get deals on swimsuits or Easter dresses until Memorial Day weekend.)